All hail the sports massage!
Enemy of tense muscles and friend of runners worldwide, sports massages are a god-send after a tough workout.
They can even help set you up for a PB beating time on Race Day.
But how long should you leave before a race to get the best results from a sports massage?
And what type of massage should you have?
Here are the THREE MOST IMPORTANT THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT PRE-RACE SPORTS MASSAGES:
- DON'T have a sports massage less than 3 days before a big race. If you have never had a Sport Massage before aim to have one at least a week before
- Massage is great for stiff shoulders and lower back, tightness in glutes and hips and niggles in calves & thighs. If you are suffering from any of these then Sport Massage can help.
- DO Take advantage of our INCREDIBLE SPECIAL OFFER, exclusively for Surrey Half-Marathon Participants. It allows you to have one pre-event and one post, or two before/after.
What’s a Sports Massage?
Sports massage is a type of massage which involves a firmer and deeper treatment which is not just for active sports people but also great for releasing tension built up from desk work and stress.
The Sports Massage therapists at Synergy Physio are trained to identify key areas where tension has built up and where muscles have tightened. This tension may have built up from long hours behind a desk, stress related postures, cold weather or from playing sport.
They will be able to release areas of tension and if necessary give advice on appropriate stretches and exercises to help with preventing the problems reoccurring.
In sport, Sports Massage treatment has been shown to help enhance performance by preventing injury, promoting recovery and monitoring the condition of the tissues.
A sports massage will:
- Help prevent injury
- Reduce your stress levels
- Reduce your muscle pain
- Reduce your recovery time after training
- Improve your flexibility and range of movement
- Improve your posture and general body awareness